Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Times are Changing. Get Used to It.

"Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, 'She doesn't have what it takes.' They will say, 'Women don't have what it takes.'" - Clare Boothe Luce

So, I totally had my first experience with sexism, today.

One of the maintainence workers, that I help out with as a part of my job, needed some help moving ceramic tile and sheet rock. Myself, and another girl volunteered and went to go meet up with him in the lobby of the building we were in.

[side note: He did not know beforehand it was going to be us. He just paged the group and said he needed 2 people to help]

Once he sees the two of us, the first thing he says is "Where are the guys? I wanted guys." And looked at us like we were the most helpless and useless beings to ever walk the earth. He was literally disgusted that females were helping him with this job.

We still did the job, and without ANY problems [besides the fact that he was complaining the whole time about how he wanted guys here and not girls].

For those that don't know what my job entails of, on an everyday basis... Manual labor for about 7 hours [weeding flower beds, pulling up/disposing of carpet, moving furniture, painting rooms, and moving mattresses in ALL of the residence halls]. I'm pretty sure I have proven that I can do "man's work." Actually, I KNOW I've proven this fact.

What makes this story EVEN better is that the two of us ran into him again, but this time he was around HIS boss. All he could do was brag about how hard we work and how great workers we are. TOTAL HYPOCRIT!

Needless to say, I was not happy. [His boss actually ended up offering me a maintainence job for the fall semseter. So screw you old man! Lol]




On another note: I started classes yesterday. Quite a long day going from working 8:30am-4:30pm and then going to class from 5:45-8:30pm.

I also got to spend Memorial Day with my parents and grandparents. Took them out to P.F. Chang's and took my grandparents to the OKC Memorial. Took some really good photos there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment